TORONTO NOIR : GANGSTERS & GALLOWS TOUR
This True Crime tour will highlight some of the most curious people to ever appear in a Toronto courtroom. Some of these cases have become notorious legends to local crime buffs. Others are all but totally forgotten today.
A few of the tales on the docket for you consideration include :
– The Boyd Gang, who became the most legendary gang of bank robbers that Canada has ever know. In a three-year robbery streak, Edwin Boyd made off with record amounts of cash, becoming Toronto’s “Gentleman Bank Robber” in the process. The antics of Boyd and his gang made them popular folk figures across Canada, until two members killed a police detective, and earned a trip to the gallows.
– The Murder of Bert Massey, who was gunned down on his own doorstep by his 18 year old maid. She made a full confession, with tantalizing accusations that shocked the nation. Murder still carried the death penalty at the time, and everyone waited to see if the all male jury would show her mercy, or let her swing …
The tour also visits sites related to a number of other quirky crimes and intriguing unsolved mysteries. Some of the stories will leave you scratching your head and wondering, “What happened?”
The tour begins and ends with a history of the death penalty in Canada. From the early days of British military justice in the 1790s, through to Toronto hosting Canada’s last use of the death penalty in Canada, the noose had both terrified and captivated the attention of the public. The justice of the death penalty in Canada is still debated today. Come out, learn the facts behind its use, and decide for yourself.
Things You will Need to Know about this Tour
- The tour begins at Courthouse Square, at 10 Court Street. Court Street runs between Church and Toronto Street, and is located half way between King and Adelaide streets. Courthouse Square and Court Street are a few minutes walk from King subway station.
- The tour ends behind Toronto’s Old City Hall, near Albert and James streets. The ending point is one block north of Queen Street West and one block west of Yonge Street.
- The tour lasts two hours.
- The tour is conducted entirely outdoors, so please remember to dress accordingly and wear comfortable walking shoes!!
PLEASE REMEMBER TO CALL AHEAD BEFORE COMING ON ANY OF TOURS, TO CONFIRM TOUR AVAILABILITY. AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT BY CHECKING WITH US BEFORE THE TOUR BEGINS.
If you have any more questions, just ask!
Dates & Times
Thursdays at 7.00 p.m.
Saturdays at 3.00 p.m.
Sundays at 3:00 p.m.
This tour is available throughout the entire calendar year. REMEMBER, if it is not scheduled for when you want to do it, just let us know, and we’ll change our schedule just for you! We suggest making reservations at least 24 hours before the tour starts.
$25.00 each for one or two people
$20.00 each for three or four people
$15.00 each for five or more
Group Rates available for students and youth.
We offer GIFT CERTIFICATES and special discount passes for visitors who plan to attend more than one tour. Contact us to find out more information.